Thursday, November 04, 2004

Sore Feet, Bleary Eyes, and a Big Fat Smile

I am pleased to announce to the world, that after two and a half excruciating years, I finally found a job. I have been working four days and I am ready to take a vacation. I forgot what it's like to stand on the train for an hour and take my meal break when somebody tells me to and stifle a yawn while my boss is giving me directions. But it's wonderful! I have a boss! I have a place to be! I'm bleary-eyed from working, not because I stayed up late to watch Letterman!

Next week, I'm going to see something I thought I'd never see again – a paycheck! I've already spent a piece of it on a new pair of shoes, and for the first time in ages, I don't feel guilty about buying something for myself.

If anyone reading this knows the feeling of desperation that comes from receiving endless rejection, I encourage you to hang in there. I was thisclose to calling it quits, when nothing short of a miracle happened. I didn't think it was possible.

It all came about through a temporary job. I would encourage anyone who is out of work to pursue temporary employment. It's the best way for an employer to get to know you, and it doesn't carry anywhere near the heavy baggage that a permanent job interview does.

I have to go to sleep now. I have somewhere to be tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I love hearing others' success stories because it inspires me in my own search.

    Take care and keep in touch!

    Dan Johnson, Jr.
    Get That Job!

    ReplyDelete